Testing, Testing: Playing with teapots and discovering new colors for 2014

Image

I started January of 2014 with a secret proclamation that I will write a post once a month.

3 months 27 days later, I finally get around to sitting down to put thoughts on screen. I have been keeping a journal and that’s going well…includes personal thoughts as well as clay processes and sketches for new ideas and revamping old ideas. I find that I need to write down my thoughts more often…can’t seem to remember what I wanted to do from hour to hour.

This is how the new teapots came to be.

I was working with some old tumbler templates and started “plumping” the walls out. This turned into several iteration of template sizes and form construction to finally developing a form that I can develop into bring out their own personality and character, as seen above.
(For more photos of new teapot forms: https://www.facebook.com/2Frogscearmicarts)

With new form comes the need for new colors. I didn’t feel that the colors I had will be able to highlight the teapots’ personality—playful and full of attitude. I didn’t want to over-work it either and diminish the texture. So, with several days and weeks of internet search for cone 6 glazes, I started my glaze testing process. If any of you have gone through this on your own, you can either say you love the process or absolutely find it exhausting! I am somewhere in the middle…love the excitement of opening the kiln to discover new colors, contentment of half successes and then the disappointment of utter failure.

I tested
– Snowflake glaze with Copper Carbonate and Cobalt Carbonate variation…now snowflakes…just a lot of crackle craze. Probably needs a more controlled cooling cycle than I was willing to commit to the whole kiln firing.

– Fake Celadon variations using Zinc Oxide and Copper Carbonate. Not quite there on this one either. I substituted one with Strontium Carbonate and It is showing an orange peel texture…underfired? Haven’t decided if I like it or not.

– Raspberry and Cranberry using Tin Oxide and Chrome Oxide. NO LIKE. I was hoping for more cherry apple red…but got more of a maroon… Too warm on the color wheel. It’s a good stable glaze, just not what I want on my pots.

– Juicy Fruit…lol…yuk. Something went very wrong on this one. Looks like day old dog poop.

Well, that about covers it. I need to do more testing.

Now to get ready for the wood firing this weekend!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s